College: National Institute of Technology
Year Established: 1964
Summary: The National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli (commonly known as NIT Trichy or NITT), is a public engineering and technology university near the city of Tiruchirappalli in Tamil Nadu, India established by the Parliament in 1964. It was declared as an Institute of National Importance by the Government of India under NIT Act. According to the Ministry of Human Resource Development ranking of the Indian Universities 2016, it is ranked as the 12th best technical institute in India. It is a premier institute that was established to train scientists and engineers to cater to the country’s growing need for research and development (R&D) and technological manpower. The institute offers undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral courses in engineering and technology, science, humanities and management. The students and alumni of the institute are informally referred to as NITTians. Being one of the top ranked technical colleges in the country and in Tamil Nadu it hosts conferences, exhibitions and conducts workshops consistently. Departments of the institute involve in various research projects funded by the Department of Science and Technology (India) and other public and private corporations. The institute is governed by a Senate as per NIT Statutes. The institute organizes annual cultural and technical festivals: Pragyan (technical festival), Festember (cultural festival) that attract participants from all over the country and abroad.
Courses at NIT-T
NIT-T offers a MBA program. Department of Management Studies (DoMS) is among the oldest B-Schools in India, started in 1978. The programme at DoMS-NIT Trichy is rigorous and tailored to the needs of the industry. The programme follows a trimester pattern and makes the students experience the rigour and the tough situation prevalent in the corporate environment through case studies, live examples and simulations.
Admission to NIT-T
(A) Admission Process :
The applicants will be shortlisted based on CAT 2015 score only. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend the Group Discussion and Personal Interview at Chennai/ Delhi/ Hyderabad/ Kolkata/ Tiruchirapalli/ Mumbai center.
B) Eligibility :
1) A recognized university degree in any discipline
2) Candidates should have 6.5 CGPA (on a 10-point scale) or 60% for OC/OBC whereas 6.0 CGPA (on a 10-point scale) or 55% in case of SC/ST candidates in the qualifying degree. For PWD candidates, the eligibility criterion will apply to the category they belong to (OC/OBC/SC/ST).
3) The above mentioned CGPA/Percentage should be aggregate based on all semesters.
4) In case, result of qualifying degree is awaited, provisional admission is permitted to a student subject to meeting above minimum academic requirements latest by 15th September 2016.
5) The conversion of CGPA to percentage marks will be based on the University guideline where the candidate is pursuing or completed the course. Also while applying to NITT and at the time of GD/PI process the candidates are required to produce the CGPA to Percentage Conversion Certificate duly signed by the University authority or NITT will decide the conversion norms.
6) Candidates appearing for their final year degree examination are also eligible to apply for program.
7) Candidates with degrees of five year integrated course are also eligible to apply.
8) Candidates should have appeared for CAT 2015.